1. I’m sorry I couldn’t get in touch with him before he left, I ___ him earlier.
A. had a telephone B. have phoned
C. should have phoned D. should be phoned
【答案】C。should（ought to）+have+过去分词：表示对过去动作的责备、批评。You should have gone over your lessons.你们应把功课复习好。You shouldn’t have watched TV last night.你们昨天晚上不应该看电视。
2. Don’t you think it is time you ___ smoking?
A. give up B. gave up C. would give up D. should give up
【答案】B It is time sb did sth：该是做某事的时候了，固定用法，句中的动词使用虚拟语气，用一般过去时表示。
3. I would have joined him in a picnic, but I _____ his company.
A. will not like B. don’t like C. had not liked D. might not like
4. I wish you ___ to me before you went and bought that car.
A. spoke B. will speak C. was going to speak D. had spoken
【答案】D 句中before后面的动作时过去时态，表明已经发生了，故B错；因“我希望（I wish）”发生的动作应该发生在before从句中的动作之前，所以选过去完成时态，故D正确。“wish+宾语从句”表示与过去事实的虚拟：sb wish that … had done，表示“应该发生而实际没有发生的动作”。
5. ___the advice of his friends, he would not have suffered such a heavy loss in his business.
A. If he took B. If he should take C. Were he to take D. Had he taken
6. It’s vital that enough money _____ collected to get the project started.
A. is B. be C must be D. can be
7. I am too busy these days. I would rather all of you ___ next month for a dinner.
A. come B. would come C. came D. have come
【答案】C。would rather +句子（过去时）（虚拟语气）：I’d rather you didn’t tell anyone what I said.你最好别告诉任何人我所说的话。I’d rather you came with me. 你还是和我一起来吧。
8. I believe he ___ an accident, otherwise he would have arrived on time.
A. would have had B. could have had C. should have had D. must have had
【答案】D 主语+must+have+过去分词，表示对过去事实的推测。The road is wet. It must have rained last night.路是湿的，昨晚肯定下雨了。I didn’t hear the phone. I must have been asleep.我没有听见电话玲响，我肯定是睡着了。
9. It’s urgent that a meeting _____ before the final decision is made.
A.will be arranged B. must be arranged
C. be arranged D. would be arranged
【答案】C It is (was)＋adj形容词/过去分词＋that……结构中形容词后的主语从句用虚拟语气表示愿望、建议、请求、命令、可能、适当、迫切、重要等；should可省略。常用的形容词由natural, appropriate, advisable, preferable, better, necessary, important, imperative, urgent, essential, vital, probable, possible, compulsory, crucial, desirable等。
10. You have stayed at home for two days. It’s time you_____ for a walk.
A. go out B. went out C. will go out D. would go out
【答案】B。虚拟语气。固定句型It’s time that+过去式。他说你在家呆了两天了，该是你出去散步了。
11. Do you think there would be less conflict in the world if all people ____ the same language?
A. spoke B. speak C. had spoken D. will speak
【答案】A do you think是主句，后面的部分是宾语从句，而宾语从句是一个包含if 条件状语从句的复合句；there would be判断, if从句中可以用一般过去时spoke，表示现在事实的虚拟。句意为; 你如果认为人们都说同样的语言，世界上就会少些冲突吗？
12. The doctor advised that Mr. Malan ___ an operation right away so as to save his life.
A. had B. would have C. have D. was going to have
【答案】C advise 后面的宾语从句中要求使用虚拟语气，动词用（should）+do形式。
13. Mary said to me, “Had I seen your bag, I ___it to you.”
A. will return B. must return C. could return D. would have returned
【答案】D 此句测试虚拟语气的用法。因为题干中有句话had I seen your bag，表示和过去的事实相反的句子，if省略，因此D为正确答案。本句的意思是：玛丽对我说：如果我看见了你的书包，我会还给你的。
14. Without heat and sunlight, plants on the earth_____ well.
A. would not grow B. will not grow C. had not grown D. would not be grown
【答案】A 本题考查虚拟语气的用法。without引导含蓄的虚拟条件句,本句与现在的事实相反因此选A。又如：Without electricity，there would not be modern industry 如果没有电的话，就没有现代工业。
15. It is desirable that he ___.
A. gives up trying B. give up trying
C. would give up trying D. is going to give up trying
【答案】B。句型It is desirable （suggested，necessary，requested，ordered，proposed，important）+that+主语+should（可省略）+V（动词原形）。因此本句选B。如：It is strange that he（should）go himself.真奇怪，他怎么自己独自去呢？