Part I Reading Comprehension（30%）
Directions： There are three passages in this part. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You should decide on the best choose and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage：
A youngster's social development has a profound effect on his academic progress Kids who have trouble getting along with their classmates can end up behind academically as well and have a higher chance of dropping out（退学）. In the early grades especially, experts say, youngsters should be encouraged to work in groups rather than individually so that teachers can spot children who may be having problems making friends "When children work on a project", says Lillian Kate, an educational professor at the University &Illinois, "they learn to work together, to disagree, to think, to take turns and lighten tensions These skills can't be learned through lecture We all know people who have wonderful technical skills but don't have any social skills Relationships should be the first R".
At a certain age, children are also learning to judge themselves in relation to others. For most children, school marks the first time that their goals are not set by an internal clock but by the outside world Just as the 1-year-old struggling to walk the 6-year-old is struggling to meet adult expectations "Young kids don't know how to distinguish early-childhood education for the state of New Jersey, "（76） if they try hard to do something and fail. they may conclude that they will never be able to accomplish a particular task". "The effects of serious", says Hills, "a child who has had his confidence really damaged needs a rescue operation".
1. The author seems to think that a kid's poor relationship with his classmates would .
A. have negative effects on his study
B. develop his individualism but limit his intelligence
C. eventually lead to his leaving school
D. have nothing to do with his achievements in a course
2. In the first paragraph, the word spot means .
A. teach B. help C. find D. treat
3. For most children, school makes them understand .
A. that it is society rather than individual that decides one's future
B. that they can meet the social needs
C. that one's effort and one's ability can be two quite different matters
D. that social needs and individual needs have nothing in common
4. Which of the following is most unlikely for the author to do？
A. To talk to the students who have mental problems.
B. To help students develop a feeling of self-respect.
C. To keep a student from playing alone.
D. To announce a student's scores in public.
5. Which of the following is the major concern of the passage about a student's needs？
A. Individualism and cooperation.
B. Academic success and independent thinking.
C. Socialization and feeling of competence.
D. Intelligence and respect.
Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following passage：
If the Europeans thought a drought-a long period of dry weather-was something that happened only in Africa, they know better now. After four years of below - normal rainfall （in some cases only 10 percent of annual average）, vast areas of France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Britain and Ireland are dry and barren（贫瘠）.（77） Water is so low in the canals of northern France that waterway traffic is forbidden except on weekends. Oyster（牡蛎）grows in Brittany report a 30 percent drop in production because of the loss of fresh water in local rivers necessary for oyster breeding. In southeastern England, the rolling green hills of Kent have turned so brown that officials have been weighing plans to pipe in water from Wales. In Portugal, farmers in the southern Alentejo region have held prayer meeting for rain-so far, in vain.
（78） Governments in drought-spread countries are taking severe measures. Authorities in hard-hit areas of France have banned washing cars and watering lawns. In Britain, water will soon be metered, like gas and electricity, "The English have always taken water for granted," says Graham Warren, a spokesman of Britain's National Rivers Authority. "Now they're putting a price on it." Even a sudden end to the drought would not end the misery in some areas. It will take several years of unusually heavy winter rain, the experts say, just to bring existing water reserves up to their normal levels.
6. What does the author mean by saying "they know better now？"
A. They know more about the causes of the drought.
B. They have a better understanding of the drought in Africa.
C. They have realized that the drought in Europe is the most serious one.
D. They have realized that droughts hit not only Africa but also Europe.
7. The drought in Europe has brought about all the following problems except .
A. below-normal rainfall B. difficult navigation
C. a sharp drop in oyster harvest D. bone-dry hills
8. The British government intends to .
A. forbid the car-washing service
B. increase the price of the water used
C. end the misery caused by the drought
D. charge fees for the use of the water
9. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage？
A. Germany is the only country free from the drought
B. Water reserves are at their lowest level in years due to drought
C. The drought is more serious in Britain than in France
D. Europe will not have heavy rain until several years later.
10. Which of the following is the most appropriate title for the passage？
A. Europe in Misery B. Drought Attacks Europe
C. Be Economical With Water D. Europe, a Would-be Africa
Questions 11 to 15 are based on the following passage：
How can we get rid of garbage（垃圾）？ Do we have enough energy sources to meet our future energy needs？
These are two important questions that many people are asking today. Some people think that man might be able to solve both problems at the same time. They suggest using garbage as an energy source, and at the time it can save the land to hold garbage.
For a long time, people buried garbage or dumped（倾倒）it on empty land. Now, empty land is scarce. But more and more garbage is produced each year. However, garbage can be a good fuel to use. The things in garbage do not look like coal, petroleum, or natural gas； but they are chemically similar to these fossil（化石）fuels. As we use up our fossil-fuel supplies, we might be able to use garbage as an energy source.
（79） Burning garbage is not a new idea. Some cities in Europe and the United States have been burning garbage for years. The heat that is produced by burning garbage is used to boil water. The steam that is produced is used to make electricity or to heat nearby buildings. In Paris, France, some power plants burn almost 2 million metric tons of the cities garbage each year. The amount of energy produced is about the same as would be produced by burning almost a half million barrels of oil.
（80） Our fossil fuel supplies are limited. Burning garbage might be one kind of energy source that we can use to help meet our energy needs. This method could also reduce the amount if garbage piling up on the earth.
11. What two problems can man solve by burning garbage？
A. The shortage of energy and air pollution.
B. The shortage of energy and the land to hold garbage.
C. Air pollution and the shortage of fossil fuel.
D. Air pollution and the shortage of land to hold garbage.
12. Which of the following is NOT the result of burning garbage？
A. The garbage burned is turned into fossil fuels.
B. The heat produced is used to boil water.
C. The steam produced is used to make electricity.
D. The steam produced is used to heat buildings.
13. According to the passage, which of the following is NOT true？
A. About 2 million metric tons of garbage is burned in France each year.
B. In a modern society, more and more garbage is produced each year.
C. Using garbage is a good way to solve the problem of energy shortage.
D. It will be too expensive to use garbage as an energy source.
14. What is the author's attitude？
A. Delighted B. Sad C. Agreeing D. Disagreeing
15. The best title for the passage may be .
A. Garbage and the Earth
B. Fossil Fuel and Garbage
C. Land and Garbage
D. Garbage - Energy Source
Part II Vocabulary and Structure（30%）
Directions： In this part there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. It is from my grandparents I learned a lot.
A. who B. whom C. that D. which
17. The writer has published many books, are well received by the readers.
A. none of whom B. all of which
C. neither of who D. one of which
18. Classes , the students left for home without delay.
A. were over B. being over C. are over D. over
19. This is the dictionary I depend a lot whenever I have problems with new words.
A. with which B. in which C. on which D. for which
20. Over ten people died and twenty people were wounded in the train crash.
A. horribly B. wrongly C. bitterly D. seriously
21. Do you think Tommy is the truth？
A. saying B. speaking C. telling D. talking
22. It is so hot. You should put the food into the refrigerator now. otherwise, it will soon.
A. harm B. hurt C. spoil D. damage
23. Don't forget to write to me, ？
A. will you B. didn't you C. are you D. don't you
24. It is important to remember the saying that is better than cure.
A. prevention B. promotion C. permission D. proportion
25. Winning or losing is temporary, but friendship .
A. expects B. lives C. remains D. lasts
26. Peter, whom everyone suspected, to be innocent.
A. turned out B. turned off C. turned up D. turned over
27. Isn't that they call peace and friendship？
A. which B. this C. what D. where
28. So is the weather in England that by lunchtime there could be thunder and lightening.
A. various B. varies C. variable D. variation
29. All the arrangements should have been completed prior our departure.
A. in B. to C. by D. before
30. I must tell you how a letter from you.
A. pleased I was to receive B. pleased I was to receiving
C. was I pleased to receive D. pleased I was receiving
31. I am considering my job as I'm not getting on well with my boss.
A. changing B. to change C. changed D. to be changed
32. the advice of his friends, he would not have suffered such a heavy loss in his business.
A. If he took B. If he should take C. Were he to take D. Had he taken
33. John, the bet, had to pay for the dinner.
A. lost B. having lost C. losing D. having loss
34. Do not trust such men often like to praise you to your face.
A. who B. that C. as D. they
35. We have a desperate need practice strict economy in every department.
A. to B. of C. for D. about
36. But for my classmates' help, I the work in time.
A. did not finish B. could not finish
C. will not finish D. would not have finished
37. is known to us all, the earth moves around the sun.
A. Because B. For C. So D. As
38. With the flowers everywhere, the park looks beautiful.
A. to bloom B. blooming C. be blooming D. to be blooming
39. The shortage of energy is getting worse. It an immediate solution.
A. calls off B. calls up C. calls for D. calls at
40. The teacher spoke so fast that it was hard for the students to what he was saying.
A. take in B. take out C. take up D. take over
41. Some pop singers have much influence the young people.
A. to B. for C. onto D. on
42. The doctor advised her that she enough rest before going back to work.
A. to get B. get C. gets D. got
43. I think I will do it myself asking him for help.
A. rather than B. other than C. instead of D. in place of
44. No sooner had she entered the house the telephone rang.
A. when B. than C. as D. while
45. Mary said to me, "Had I seen your bag, I it to you."
A. will return B. must return C. could return D. would have returned
Part III Identification （10%）
Directions： Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked A, B, C and D. Identify the one that is not correct. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
46. Individual freedom does not in any sense（A） mean that （B）you can do what （C）you like at your free-will.（D）
47. When we finally finished （A）the tiring （B）journey, we could not hardly （C）move a step further.（D）
48. Arriving for （A）the lecture early is better （B）than to take （C）the chance of being （D）late.
49. These part-time students expect to offer （A）some jobs on （B）campus during （C）the coming （D）summer vacation.
50. He was so （A）excited after hearing the news and （B）he could not （C）fall asleep immediately.（D）
51. You will not able （A）to pass the examination unless （B）you work harder （C）than you do （D）now.
52. Only when it started （A）to rain he noticed （B）that he had left （C）his raincoat somewhere.（D）
53. The waste, according to （A）the people there, has already （B）found their （C）way into the （D）drinking water.
54. If you try to （A）learn too （B）many things at a time （C）you may get confusing（D）.
55. After （A）his graduation （B）from（C） the university, he has worked （D）in a famous computer company.
Part IV Cloze （10%）
Directions： there are 20 blanks in the following passage, and for each blank there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D at the end of the passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
People used to say, "The hand that rocks the cradle（摇篮）rules the world." And "56 every successful man there's a woman."
" 57 these saying mean the same thing. Men 58 the world, but their wives rule them.
Most of the American women like 59 their husbands and 60 successful, 61 some of them want 62 for themselves. They want 63 jobs. When they work they want to be 64
Paid. They want to be as successful as 65 .
The American women's liberation（解放）movement was started by women who don't want to 66 successful men. They want to stand 67 men, with the same chance for success. They don't want to be told that certain jobs or offices are 68 to them. They refuse to work side by side with men who do the same work for 69 pay.
A 70 woman must be 71 of being a woman and have confidence （自信）in 72 . If somebody says to her, "You've come a long way, baby." She'll smile and answer, "Not nearly as 73 as I'm going to go, baby！"
This movement is quite new, and 74 American women do not agree. But it has already made some important changes in women's 75 and in men's lives, too.
56. A. Behind B. Beside C. Before D. Under
57. A. Neither B. All C. Both D. Either
58. A. manage B. have C. control D. rule
59. A. forcing B. to make C. waiting D. looking
60. A. fathers B. mothers C. sons D. daughters
61. A. so B. but C. thus D. or
62. A. more B. little C. everything D. nothing
63. A. light B. heavy C. no D. good
64. A. nice B. fairly C. continuously D. endlessly
65. A. husbands B. others C. men D. other women
66. A. walk beside B. move behind C. go before D. stand behind
67. A. beside B. for C. behind D. against
68. A. opened B. closed C. open D. close
69. A. a different B. the same C. a higher D. a high
70. A. good B. free C. working D. liberated
71. A. able B. kind C. proud D. fond
72. A. her heart B. herself C. her position D. her husband
73. A. far B. farther C. long D. distant
74. A. some B. all C. few D. many
75. A. lives B. world C. society D. position
Part V Translation （20%）
Directions： In this part there are five sentences which you should translate into Chinese. These sentences are all taken from the 3 passage you have just read in the part of Reading Comprehension. You can refer back to the passages so as to identify their meanings in the context.
76. If they try hard to do something and fail, they may conclude that they will never be able to accomplish a task. （Passage 1）
77. Water is so low in the canals of northern France that waterway traffic is forbidden except on weekends. （Passage 2）
78. Governments in drought-spread countries are taking severe measures. Authorities in hard-hit areas of France have banned washing cars and watering lawns. （Passage 2）
79. Burning garbage is not a new idea. Some cities in Europe and the United States have been burning garbage for years. （Passage 3）
80. Our fossil fuel supplies are limited. Burning garbage might be one kind of energy source that we can use to help meet our energy needs. （Passage 3）
Directions： In this part there are five sentences in Chinese. You should translate them into English. Be sure to write clearly.
1．A 答案在第一段第二句话："Kids who have trouble getting along
with their classmates can end up behind academically as well．不能和
2．C spot：发现，找出。In early grades especially，youngsters should
be encouraged to work in groups rather than individually SO that teachers
can spot children who may be having problems making friends．尤其在早期，应当鼓励青年人一起学习，而不是独自学习，这样老师们就能发现哪些学生交朋友有困难。
3．A 答案在第二段第二句话："For most children，school marks the
first time that their goals are not set by an internal clock but by the
4．D 答案在第二段最后一句话： "The effects of obvious methods of
comparison such as posting grades can be serious．a child who has had
his confidence really damaged needs a rescue operation．明显的对比分
6．D 答案在第一段第一句话："If the Europeans thought a drought-a long period of dry weather-was something that happened only in Africa，they know better now．如果欧洲人认为干旱天气只会出现在非洲的话，那么他们现在更清楚的知道了，情况并非如 此。"因此，"they know better now"means they have realized that drought hit not only Africa but also Europe．欧洲人已经意识到干旱不仅会袭击非洲也会出现在欧洲。
8．D 答案在第二段有这样的句子："In Britain，water will soon be metered，
like gas and electricity．在英国，水像电和气一样开始记录了。"
"The English have always taken water for granted，now they are put-
ting a price on it．英国人对于用水总是想当然，现在他们也开始给水
9．B 答案在文章的最后一句话："It will take several years of unusually
heavy winter rain，just to bring existing water reserves up to their
政府采取的一些措施。因此文章的题目应当是： "Drought Attacks
11．B 答案在文章的最后一句话："Burning garbage might be one kind
of energy source that we can use to help meet our energy needs．this
method could also reduce the amount if garbage piling up on the
15．D 文章的标题应当是："Garbage——一一Energy Source．"
16．C 此句测试强调句型的用法。It is…that…本句的意思是："从我祖父母那里我学到了很多。又如：It was in the street that mymother met Tom yesterday．（强调地点主语）昨天，我母亲是在街上遇见汤姆的。It was not until Wednesday that I phoned the office．（强调时间状语）直到星期三我才给办公室打去电话。
felt that his pupils，most of whom lived in the towns，should get to
know the wonders of the countryside．他觉得他那些大多住在城里的
接回家了。分词的独立主格作时间状语。It being Sunday，you
needn't go to sch001．因为是星期天，你用不着去上学。分词的独立
主格做原因状语。All the work done，you can have a rest．所有的工作都完成了，可以休息了。分词的独立主格做条件状语。
19．C 此句测试定语从句的用法。depend on…依靠，取决于。因此C为正确答案。
was seriously i11．他患了重病。本句的意思是："在这次火车相撞事
怕的。He died horribly and in great pain．他死的很惨，且疼痛不堪。
21．C 此句测试四个动词的辨析。tell the truth：说实话，tell a lie：说
22．C spoil：指食物变坏。如：Fruit spoils if kept too long．水果放的
There is no harm in trying．不妨一试。hurt：使……伤心。These
criticisms have hurt his pride deeply．这些批评大大伤害了他的自尊
心。damage：损害，破坏（使其失去价值）。The storm did great
damage to the crops．那场暴风雨对农作物造成了极大的伤害。
面的反问一般用will you？如：Speak louder，will you？请大声点，好
is better than cure．预防胜于医治。因此A最符合题意。promotion：
25．D 此句测试四个动词的辨析。last：持续，延续。The hot weather
lasted until September．炎热的天气一直持续到九月。本句的意思是：
26．A 此句测试turn动词短语的用法。turn out：结果是，证明是。It
looked like raining this morning.but it has turned out to be a fine
Please turn off the lights when you leave classroom．离开教室时请关
上灯。turn up：出现He promised to come but hasn't turned up yet．
他答应来，但还没到。turn over：翻倒，翻转。The car turned over in
"That isn't what they call peace and friendship．"变成疑问句："
Isn't that what they call peace and friendship？"what在从句中作call
29．B 固定搭配：prior to：在……之前。本句的意思是："在离开之前，应当把一切准备好。"
或副词，然后再接一个陈述句。另外注意短语：be pleased to do
considering learning a foreign 1anguage．我们正在考虑学一门外语。"
34．C such…as引导定语从句。例如："we have found such materials
as are used in their factory．我们找到了象他们厂里用的那种材料。
（such在句中做主语）Such people as you describe are short nowadays．
35．A have need to do sth：必须做某事。本句的意思是："我们急需在
36．D 此句是含有含蓄条件句："but for'my classmate's help"的句子，
37．D as is known to a11：固定搭配，众所周知。又如：As is known to
all，too much smoking will cause lung cancer．众所周知，过多吸烟
39．C 本句测试call动词短语的用法。call for：要求，需求。如：This
invitation does not call for an answer．这张请贴不要求答复。The
present situation calls for rapid action by the government．当前的局
源缺乏越来越严重，需要立即解决。"call off：取消。"The football
match was called off on account of rain．足球赛因下雨取消。"例如：
call up：打电话。例如："I'11 call you up as soon as I get home．我一
到家就给你打电话。"call at：拜访。例如： "We called at John's
40. A 此句测试take动词短语的用法。take in：理解，领会。The
students found it easy to take in what their teacher had taught．学生
Please take out a piece of paper，let's have a dictation．请拿出一张纸
来，我们开始听写。take up：占据（时间、空间）This bookcase
take up too much room.这个书架占了太多的空间。take over：承
担，接管。例如：He will take over his father's business．他将接替
41．D 固定搭配，have an influence on…对……有影响。本句的意思
43．C 本句的意思是："我想我自己做而不去求助于他。"Instead of和in place of两个短语都是取代的意思，前者是用甲不用乙，后者是以甲代替乙。如："In making this dish，we should use sesame oil instead of peanut oil．做这个菜，应该用香油，不应该用花生油。In making this dish， we used sesame oil in place of peanut oil．我们做这个菜时，用香油代替了花生油。因此C符合题意。rather than：宁愿，不是……而是……。如："John ought to go rather than George．约翰比乔治更应该去。These shoes are comfortable rather than pretty．这鞋不好看可是很舒服。Other than：不同于。除了。如："The truth is quite other than what you think．事实与你想的完全不同。A11 parts of the house other than the windows were in good condition．除了窗子外，屋子的其他部分都很好。"
44．B no sooner…than，hardly．．when，固定搭配，一……就……本
45．D 此句测试虚拟语气的用法。因为题干中有句话："had I seen your
49．A 应改为be offered，意思是："学生们期望被给一份工作。"本句
51．A 应改为will be able to.本句的意思是："除非你比现在更努力学
52．B 应改为：did he notice，因为only放在句首，因此句子要倒装。本
57．C 因为前面提到两种说法"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the
world．""Behind every successful man there's a woman．"因此用
59．B like后面接to do sth．
63．D good jobs好的工作。本句的意思是："她们想要好的工作。"
66. D 本句的意思是："美国的妇女不想站在成功男人的背后由此开始
71．C be proud of…以……为自豪。
72． B have confidence in oneself：对自己有信心。
78．此句为两个简单的句子。take severe 1neasures：采取紧急措施。译
82．for.gel，后面接动词不定式，表示动作还没有生。译文：I am sorry，I
forget to bring the book you want．
83．too…to…太……以至于不……。译文：The work is too difficult
for you to finish．
84．however引导让步状语从句。However difficult it may be，1 will never
lose my confidence．
85．注意结构：the more…the more．．．越……越……。译文：The farther an
object is away from us，the smaller it looks．